Comus - First Utterance CD (album) cover

FIRST UTTERANCE

Comus

Prog Folk

friso
5 stars Comus - First Utterance (1971)

Not for every-one. Essential for some.

This is one the most honest artistic moments of history. It's real, is confronting! It has a short story with a lot of misery in it and everything is put on music as bleak as possible. In short: Comus (person) is a mentally unhealthy person that rapes a girl, gets into prison and suffers a lot. The great artwork represents the music very well and strengthens it. I got it for my birthday, it was a present from my girlfriend. Little did she know the music was about a rapist!

I've read a lot of reviews on PA before and after I got the record. A lot people clearly didn't like it and the descriptions are often not very accurate. I'll try to describe the music as good as possible. The album has no 'ugly' music, but has a lot of functional music that suit the ugly moments. In addition it has some pure magical acoustic moments that would appeal a lot to fans of the symphonic and folk genre. The vocals have a lot of different styles on the album. Diana has almost witch-like vocals with some very psychedelic acid vocals of Roger Wootton, The Herald has some of best female folk vocals ever recorded: gentle, melodic, female. On some moments it gets a bit haunting. Drip Drip has a lot of psychedelic vocals by Wootton. Even the rapescene is put to music with crazy lyrics like ''I'll be gentle, I'll be gentle' sung like right from hell. This is however essential because of how ugly the scene is. Song to Comus has beautifull, but strange double vocals on the couplet themes and some more psycho Wootton vocals on the bridges. The Prisoner has desperate vocals of Wootton and judging female vocals by Watson.

The music itself has a lot of differences among the album. Diana has a relative normal folkish sound that is somehow distorted by the strange way of playing and recording it. The guitars and violins are confronting and a bit aggressive.

On the Herald the guitar lines a plain beautiful and memorable. A lot of people might actually like this specific track. The folkish guitar lines have progressive melodies and are atmospheric throughout.

Drip drip is more psychedelic with a some of the best psychedelic melodies I've ever heard. This song is one of the hardest to get into however because of the rape scene in the end. "You stand before me, defenceless".. Comus does his terrible deed and the music suits the moment. This is a moment of true pain and extreme confusion.

Song to Comus has a very gentle couplet theme that's both intelligent and catchy. The bridges are more aggressive. Did song is available on PA and I recommend you to listen to it a couple of times. It has a lot of elements of Comus, and it has conclusive lyrics of everything what happened so far. Pure beauty.

The Bite and Bitten get the record on the dark track again. Comus get's even more confused. On The Prisoner Comes complains that he's being misunderstood and asks why a mentally confused person must be treated like this. In pain he lies in his prison cell.

Conclusion. This is not for every-one on PA. It's not even specific for prog-folk listeners. This is true Acid-folk without any consensus seeking. It is recommended to people who can listen to confronting psychedelics like VdGG and Jan-Dukes de Grey. For me this is an ultimate masterpiece of progressive music. It's so good and specific that it never got a great audience and never will have. Still it has it's dedicated fans and I've become one of them. If you like you adore, If you don't like you'll never understand how another person could ever like this freaky horror-show. Though I admit this is for fans only, I give it five stars. It's an essential masterpiece and it's quality should have given it a high rank in the PA top 100. Comus, thank you for being so honest and making an album with a concept no-one ever would have dared singing about except you guys. True prog.

friso | 5/5 |