Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory  CD (album) cover

THE POWER AND THE GLORY

Gentle Giant

friso
5 stars Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory (1974)

Gentle Giant is back on track with the sixth album of the big GG8. I didn't like In A Glass House and I'm glad the band returned to a style I like. At this time the cohesiveness of the band was high and the compositions still very intelligent. The progress was made mainly in the technical side of the music, the atmospheric side had become less important after the third album, so it seems. This doesn't bother the music as one would expect, because the energy of this album is endless! Sophisticated yet catchy. The Power and the Glory had more short songs and no big epic, but all track a great on this one! Somehow this has always felt as the playful Gentle Giant album.

The staggering vocals on Proclamation and the dis-harmonic vocal section with heavy instrumentation in the middle section are both masterful parts of the track. The great playful key-parts are also inspiring.

So Sincere has an unbelievable strange timing and even the harmonic structure is beyong human logic, but as soon as the vocal begin a great song emerges from the chaos. Yet another playful refrein with chaotic instrumentation. So Sincere is both an progressive masterpiece as a very funny enjoyable song. Strange isn't it?

Aspirations is a great intimate song with great chord progressions. It brings the music back from energetic to soothing. This is important for the feel of the album.

Playing the Game. Another positive up-tempo track full of ideas.

Side two starts with the up-tempo and very progressive Cogs in Cogs. The musical introduction is a bit hyper, but the combination of vocals and instrumentation on the couplet theme memorable. How is this possible? The other parts of the song are also good and so this is one of my favourite Gentle Giant songs.

No God's A man. A track with great use of the odd time signatures and melodic guitar parts. The mix between sophisticated moments and melodic moments is great in this track. The vocals are good too. The Face is another track with much ideas and catchy themes.

Valedictory is the reprise of the opening track, this time in a minor key instead of a major key. The conclusive sound of the vocals make it a good ending song. The intense dis-harmonic vocal section is played again (could we ever get enough of that? No) and the album ends with a big bang.

Conclusion. Yet another perfect record of Gentle Giant. There's a lot of music on this album with a lot of ideas and a lot of inventive moments. Playful and serious combined greatly, though I normally don't like positive progressive rock (I tend to the dark side of prog). I think I can call this specific album an essential masterpiece, though most of the albums of GG are equally important for me. Five stars!

friso | 5/5 |