Maneige - Les Porches CD (album) cover

LES PORCHES

Maneige

Menswear
5 stars Long live Quebec Prog!

Oh Quebec, home of the Nordiques, Bonhomme Carnaval, Caribou and some of the most complex jazz fusion ever: Maneige, Uzeb, Morse Code. A huge province in the middle of Canada, my home and my prog.

Maneige (litt. 'my snow') is scoring an epic album with les Porches de Notre-Dame, entering immediately into history, without much background though. Kinda like Adrian Brody winning the Oscar for Best Actor in the Pianist. But the songs are so homogenic! Such a maturity in writing, it's uncanny.

When it comes to clarinette, bass and percussions, it doesn't get better than this. On top, we have vocals by Raoul Duguay, crazy LSD guru of the 70's in Canada. I can say that his performance is the only stain on the perfect shirt; his vocals can be compared to a cross of Jacques Brel and a sheep. A VERY dated way of singing I might say.

Fans of Gentle Giant and Gnidrolog won't be disappointed.

Be good to yourself, and taste what Quebec Province has to offer. Different, and heck yeah, it's good.

Menswear | 5/5 |