Gnidrolog - Lady Lake CD (album) cover

LADY LAKE

Gnidrolog

friso
3 stars Gnidrolog - Lady Lake (1972)

I recently ordered some re-issue vinyls of five albums that are too expensive if you want the originals. Lady Lake was one of them. Though I never had heard their music, I tried it because of it's great reputation.

Gnidrolog has it's own sound. Acoustic guitar, vocals and wind-instruments (flute, brass) are the most important elements, but Gnidrolog can also rock out with extended guitar solo's. The vocals are a bit strange because of the high pitched male voice that sounds a bit uncontrolled, still this is very acceptable for me. I like bands with an own sound and the voice is an important element in a bands sound and vibe.

The albums has some long compositions and some short songs. Though the concepts of the compositions are intelligent and the sound distinctive, I would not refer to this as very progressive music. Sometimes the emotions are very strong though and a small link to The Court of the Crimson King can be made. The lyrics against warfare are inspired.

I could never be a soldier is the eleven minute opener with a long vocal section and a long instrumental improvisations section with lot's of solo's. Though the song part is nice and moving, it's not that catchy and the instrumental parts even get a bit boring in the end.

Ship is better dosed and the refrain is great! The wind-section is more effective here and so is the song-structure. The song has a nice emotional impact. A dog with no collar is a short and nice song.

On side two we begin with the impressive, spooky and progressive Lady Lake. The brass section is again very strong and very aggressive. The vocal parts are spooky and atmospheric. Same Dreams is another short song, this is a change from long compositions to short songs.

Social embarrassment has a great beginning but ends up in up-tempo, heavy and confusing noise in the end. This song isn't my favourite of the album. A stronger ending section might have left me with a better feeling.

Conclusion. A nice album that has some parts I don't like or find very moving. Still this is a nice addition to most prog rock collections, but I would never call it essential. Three stars.

friso | 3/5 |