Jimi Slevin - Freeflight (1982) CD (album) cover

FREEFLIGHT (1982)

Jimi Slevin

Prog Folk

Leonardo
4 stars Well over 20 years ago I heard a demo of this album in my local record shop and was intrigued enough to buy it . I had no idea who Jimi was a the time, but it became, and still is, one of my favourite albums in my collection.

The album is a very atmospheric, even etheral, veture into folk rock.

Right from the first tracks "Summer", which merges into the next rousing track "stormy seas" you know you are in for a rewarding ride.

The backbone of the album is acoustic folk guitar work of the highest order, where Jimi sometimes pushes the Irish folk feel, giving it a raw edge at times by plucking the strings sharply and playing on their resonance. All this is given a frequent atmospheric accompanyment from electric guitar, synths, irish pipes and vocal harmonies.

Most of the tracks are instrumental, but Jimi sings on some tracks such as "Forever and a Year" and "Lords of the Rocks" , his vocal style lending a relaxed and moving feel to these songs.

There is not a poor track on this album, and if you want to get the best out of it, listen to it whilst walking along a rugged coastline on a windy day. I think Jimi was doing exactly that when he was inspired to write these tracks!

Leonardo | 4/5 |