Yes - Big Generator CD (album) cover

BIG GENERATOR

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars Yes to the big money, please.

This was my first ever Symphonic Prog purchase some days after it's release. On cassette no less. I liked it back then, but I could not understand what the fuzz was about.

Well, this album is only Yes in it's name and so far from the 1970s Yes as you can come. Music wise, it is not a Yes album. It is Jon Anderson's voice over some horrible AOR. When I am listening to it now, it actually reminds me a lot about Rush's Hold Your Fire. Did these two albums have the same producer ? I don't think so. But the sound is exactly the same. Gosh !! I love........ well, like Hold Your Fire. Spooky......

I am not a great lover of Big Generator and I am tempted to give it one star. The music is horrible AOR with the horrible 1980s plastic fantastic sound. Yes, and their record label, is going for the money here after their big hit single Owner Of A Lonely Heart from their previous album 90125. Big Generator is therefore a commercial minded album, catering only for their new fans. The teenyboppers and the AOR crowd. The pictures of Jon Anderson in colourful baggy trousers and big hair from that period also confirm my views.

Big Generator does have some OK songs though. The title track, although desecrated by some dramatic 1980s type sound effects, is an OK track. The same is I'm Running. But the rest is best forgotten. I don't think Yes themselves rate this album and neither do I. But Big Generator is not a disaster area. But I will return this cassette to the box in the loft where I found it and probably never play it again.

2 stars