The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book CD (album) cover

The Tangent

Prog Metal Team
2 stars I'm not sure that it's not as good as the book but this album was definitely not as good as most people claimed it to be!

I found some parts of the first disc quite enjoyable at first but eventually it all got old and not that exciting. The album supplies just enough prog to keep me entertained for a few spins but eventually it all came crashing down like a house of cards.

I'm not entirely sure why I just can't enjoy these regressive types of bands. I guess it's not the "been there done that" that annoys me but rather that the bands actually enjoy to be retro prog which in most cases result in albums filled with forgettable material that most people probably won't even remember in 10 years time. This is definitely something that can't be said about the 70's movement.

I know that tastes are very personal and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything new. All I'm saying is that if you don't enjoy bands like Flower Kings and Spock's Beard then you will most probably not like this album either.

**** star songs: Crises In Mid-Life (7:13) Celebrity Purée (3:43) Not As Good As The Book (8:54)

*** star songs: Lost In London 25 Years Later (7:33) The Ethernet (10:13) A Sale Of Two Souls (7:16) Bat Out Of Basildon (5:54) Four Egos, One War (21:15) The Full Gamut (22:43)

Rune2000 | 2/5 |