Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling CD (album) cover

A CURIOUS FEELING

Tony Banks

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars After reading a bunch of reviews and hearing the sample track I decided that it was my obligation as a Genesis fan to purchase this album!

Since my expectations weren't that high to begin with I actually managed to really enjoy this album over the course of the first couple of days. Tony Banks is a great artist and I actually consider him to be better than other virtuosos from the great progressive era. No reason to disguise that I'm talking about Keith Emeson and Rick Wakeman here.

I think it's great that Banks always lets his band-mates shine on the Genesis albums while he works on the underlying structures. Unfortunately this ultimately becomes this albums major flaw. A Curious Feeling lacks the leads from all of the earlier Genesis albums. It's melodic and pleasant but lacks a front-man figure who would turn the material into something more substantial. On the other hand I can imagine that this release would have worked much better have it been a movie soundtrack.

A decent effort from Tony Banks which unfortunately also shows why his great talent works much better in the context of a band.

***** star songs: After The Lie (4:49)

**** star songs: From The Undertow (2:46) Lucky Me (4:26) The Lie (4:58) Forever Morning (6:02) You (6:28) The Waters Of Lethe (6:31) For A While (3:38) In The Dark (2:58)

*** star songs: A Curious Feeling (3:58) Somebody Else's Dream (7:50)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |