Anekdoten - Chapters CD (album) cover

CHAPTERS

Anekdoten

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars I'd like to nominate myself as the second-biggest Anekdoten fan on the archives. I tried hard to get to the top but have to admit Sinkadotentree is miles out of reach!

At least I'm fan enough to find the whole idea of an Anekdoten compilation rather puzzling. After all, what you need is all their albums, not just a selection. But as compilations come, this Chapters is one that honours the band in a well judged and respectful manner. The focus is on the last few studio albums which is fine as those represented a more mature and personal style. But the Anekdoten heyday is represented as well, with remixes from Wheel and The Old Man.

The gem to get is Sad Rain, a beautiful King Crimson homage (almost a Starless cover) that was included on certain issues of the debut album. Another rare track is When I Turn, which pays tribute to another Anekdoten hero, namely Peter Hammill. The opening line is almost a quote from A Louse is Not a Home from the Silent Corner album: "Sometimes it's very scary here".

The second CD contains a number of alternate studio outtakes, making this compilation not only suited as an introduction to the band, but also a treat for fans. Let the demo tag not scare you, these versions sound every bit as good as the originals, they aren't that different from the studio versions but have the focussed energy of a good live performance. Especially 30 Pieces gains power from the rough edges.

I'll join the crowd with another 4 star recommendation. As compilations come this is a very professional and respectful one.

Bonnek | 4/5 |