Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - The World Became The World CD (album) cover

THE WORLD BECAME THE WORLD

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

friso
3 stars PFM - The World became the World (English version of L'isola di niente) (1974)

Thanks to my progbuddy Erik Neuteboom I got my hands on a vinyl copy of this well known PFM record. My expectations were high. The feeling of having such a hard to get vinyl is good, but the high expectations aren't that good at all. PFM did not show gruit qualities on this record INMHO.

First of all: PFM is a band with the best of musicainship, they are very important because of their great symphonic/eclectic offerings for the genre. This album was quite frustrating though. Not the lack of musicianship or quality was the problem, but the lack of vision and the aggresive approach of the band on the progmarket. It's to ambitious. This might sound like an abstract problem, but I'll explain it.

Listening to Storia Di Un Minuto and Per un Amico I heard a high quality band with a lot's of vision and the music sounds inspired. The bands has it's own vibe and the tipical RPI sound that's has something 'realistic' and beautifull about it.

The World Became the World sounds different. It sounds like an agressive approach to show the world they can play with the big European bands like Genesis, ELP, King Crimson and Yes. It sounds like PFM made compositions on this album to try to beat these bands in their own game.

The Mountain is more bombastic then ELP ever was and is very unorganized. The different parts of the composition are great but the total is one big mess. The choral opening leaves me indifferent due to the bad quir. Just look away and The world became the world both sound like an attempt to get that magical 'I talk to the Wind/Cadance and Cascade' KC- sound. Although both tracks are my favourites of the album, they are highly unoriginal. The lyrics of Sinfield do help to get the KC atmosphere, but this isn't a good thing. On side two Four holes in the ground and Is my face on straight sound like attempts to copy and conquer the Yes sound. The compositions are again good, but I get a very frustrated feeling listening to it. The last track Have your cake and beat it is again an attempt to conquer King Crimson, but this time the proto-metal fase of the band. The atonal solo's sound horrible and the style is totally out of place here. The symphonic ending section is the best part of the album though. The reference of Geneses isn't out of place here, another attempt to beat a band in it's own game.

Conclusion. This album has a lot of high quality compostions, but it's motivations and style makes me dislike it. I like the honest sound of their albums before this one, but this one is just to extreme for my tastes. I'll give it three stars... but hey... this could have been a masterpiece with an other approach on music IMHO.

friso | 3/5 |