Steve Hillage - Fish Rising CD (album) cover

FISH RISING

Steve Hillage

Canterbury Scene

friso
3 stars Steve Hilllage - Fish Rising (1975)

Gong's You, part two! (I'm such a great poet)

I was very excited about this album. Steve Hillage plays both on my favourite Gong albums and one of my all-time favourite records: Space Shanty of Kahn. His playing style is very recognisable with the jazz rock solo's and spacey delay soundscapes. If you like this style, this album might be your cup of tea! This is pure space-rock with some Canterbury style positive atmospheres and crazyness. The addition of Dave Steward is nice, but most of the band consists of former Gong members: Pierre Moerlen, Gilly Smith, Mike Howlett and Dedier Malherbe.

In a real sense this record isn't that progressive, but it does sound progressive. It sounds so much like Gong's You that I would never call this very essential. Very often we hear guitar delays, very much synthesizors going up and down and up and down in arpeggio's and things like that. I like this sound, but from minute I got the feeling I already heard this record. Like there's nothing new on it. The vocal parts with the heavy guitars are my favourite parts on the record, at least there's some emotional content on this record.

Conclusion. This album lacks some innovation that would have helped Hillage to show why he earns his solo career. Still this is magical Canterbury style space rock with some nice vocal parts and some enjoyable crazy melodies. I just gives me the feeling I have when I can't wake up at morning... it has this slowness, this repetitive sound, like your in a bath of space-rock. This is a formula that has been used to much, some variation (like on Steve Hackett's debut) would have made this a four star recording, for now it's just three stars.

friso | 3/5 |