Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII CD (album) cover

Rick Wakeman

2 stars Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII (1972)

Fooled again..

I don't like pure keyboard extravaganza's, unless the music has some vision and good lyrics. This records represents the technical extremes of key-playing. Rick Wakeman plays on a dozen of different key instruments placed all around him, as the inner sleeve shows. His compositions are constructed from a combination of classical music styled rock and some progressive tendencies from his Yes period. Both his playing and his compositions are of high quality in a technical way, but I tend to miss the human thing on this album. I can stand records without vocals very well, but this just doesn't touch me at all! This record keeps playing without leaving traces on my mind.

Now I can understand that this might be a great record for people who can enjoy the masterful keyboard parts in a high dosed way without further band-members playing important parts, and I think this is a great record for those people. I myself didn't like this at all and I have decided not to buy any keyboard oriented (or guitar oriented albums for that matter) any more. I like complete bands giving me the full experience of cooperation between instruments, I don't want one lead. I give it two stars. This is only for fans of the symphonic prog genre, and they will find six great enjoyable compositions (not songs).

friso | 2/5 |