Utopia - Ra CD (album) cover

4 stars Todd is a "funny" guy. Whether this means that you actually think he is funny, or just believe that he thinks he is funny, depends on how straight-faced you demand your prog heroes to be. This album has some "funny" voices and stuff, to be sure, and unfortunately for some people this will immediately blind them to everything else to be found here. For me, it's always the music that comes first, and in that regard I hold Ra amongst my top tier of favorites. Todd was always his own island in prog rock, unlike anyone else at all, and along with Utopia's first album this is some truly exceptional music: burning guitar, fat drums, perfect harmonies, 70's synth antics... I always thank goodness for drugs, or he may have remained content as a pop singer!
corbet | 4/5 |