Shylock - Ile de Fievres (Fever Island)  CD (album) cover

ILE DE FIEVRES (FEVER ISLAND)

Shylock

Marcelo
3 stars Without the first track, I would rate this stuff as an average or perhaps a poor album. Just the opening track -IMHO- justifies the purchase because the rest, except brief moments ("Choral" i.e.), is a chain of dissonant and dark notes, extremely complex and strange, a sort of an agressive and even noisy KING CRIMSON meeting heavy fusion bands.

But returning to the main homonymous theme, I must say that it was and it will be -for me- one of the most representative tracks in the whole progressive rock history, beside some GENESIS and YES terrific songs. These 13 minutes can summarize what prog rock means: Energy, beauty, surprise, majestic, and all magnificent adjectives you can imagine. After hear it, I didn't feel myself disappointed despite I didn't like the remaining pieces. So, my humble advice is this: If you think that just a real (I mean REAL) gem lost in a strange stuff deserves to be in your collection, acquire the album, listen to "Ile de Fievre" (the track) and forget the rest.

Marcelo | 3/5 |