Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

Thiago Hallak
3 stars I just can't understand how a simplistic and pop-attachment album it is consider an absolute masterpiece of progressive rock music.

Rick Wakeman composed one of the worst keyboard solos ever (just after "I Get Up, I Get down), Bill Brufford is in his worst and the chords cuple show it's knowledge of playing only in the first half of "Close to the Edge" song. A band does not need to be virtuous, but in this album we found a weak instrumentation. It's an album that i prefer to sing than heard. Are the songs delightful? Yes, and that's for sure. I think this is an absolute truth. It is a nice album just how the "three stars" means.

About the songs... "I Get Up, I Get Down" has "honeydew" structure, it is a song that remembers me a love soap opera, "And You and I" it's a 10min love song and "Siberian Khatru" an 8min hit. The only highlight goes to the beginning of "Close to the Edge".

I just will not classify it as a poor album because it is realy delightful and we can hear a 10min weel played music.

Thiago Hallak | 3/5 |