Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene CD (album) cover

Jean-Michel Jarre

Prog Metal Team
4 stars Just like Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Oxygene is Jean-Michel Jarre's masterpiece that will be remembered for many years to come!

These two albums aren't necessarily the individual artist's crowning achievements but they're definitely what most people will remember them for. Personally I prefer Amarok and Equinoxe over these breakthrough compositions but I by no means disregard their importance.

To me Oxygene is basically an experiment in synthesizer sound layering done right. The only downside is that although the album tracks stuck in my head the first time I heard them there isn't much to gain upon an occasional revisit. Oxygene Parts 2 & 4 are the most recognized compositions and therefore stand out as the highlights while the rest of the album offers material that complements those more intense moments by nice spacey interludes.

This Jean-Michel Jarre album may not have aged as well as I wanted it to, still it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a classic and therefore should be experienced by everyone at least once.

***** star songs: Oxygene, Pt. 2 (8:08) Oxygene, Pt. 4 (4:14)

**** star songs: Oxygene, Pt. 1 (7:40) Oxygene, Pt. 3 (2:54) Oxygene, Pt. 5 (10:23)Oxygene, Pt. 6 (6:20)

Rune2000 | 4/5 |