Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars It took me years. No let me rephrase that. It took me Eons to begin to even accept VdGG. But when the hurting came, it came hard. Peter Hamill has something in his voice which makes you stop and wonder what kind of a wacko is trying to make a scene in your scene. Then there's Banton and his organ which are continually intent on affecting your day in some major way. Finally Jackson's sax cannot, I repeat cannot be ignored, no matter what type of innoculation you may find. Lemmings and Man-Erg make statements which are difficult to ignore, but APOLK that's where the wall becomes thoroughly breachable. Hamill's vocals are magical, and the concept makes you wake up in the middle of the night asking the omnivorous and eternal question: why? No matter how you feel about yourself this is the album to turn to if you feel like putting it all back on to the betting table. Magical, disenheartening, troubling, refreshing, dislillusioning, curious; yes, yes, all of those, and so much more....
raelreels | 5/5 |