Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity CD (album) cover

3 stars Deerhoof isn't well received by most reviewers here, and I can see why. Not only are they as good a definition of oddball band as any, but they really aren't prog at all, at least not as we know it. They're strange, unique, and very experimental- but they'd probably be better classified as art punk. All of the songs here up to Look Away are very nice, enjoyable and quirky tracks. Childish, simplistic, probably aesthetic lyrics are delivered by a demented yet strangely friendly voice. Around it is drumming as precise and mechanical as those of Can, and guitar work that seems to be more pop-oriented than the rest of Deerhoof's sound, relying on riffs to give it a more accessible rock/punk feel. The exception is Look Away, a long, freakish avant-jam somewhat reminiscent of Peking O or maybe the more experimental parts of Sound Chaser. So, Friend Opportunity is a very good and enjoyable album, though some may find it simple and uninteresting. I think I'll give it three stars, because while I enjoy it, it really isn't my thing.
Neurotarkus | 3/5 |