Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land  CD (album) cover

ROCKPOMMEL'S LAND

Grobschnitt

Mellotron Storm
3 stars GROBSCHNITT's keyboardist was a huge GENESIS and YES fan, and he would be the one to come up with the concept here and Symphonic style of music. GENESIS came to my mind quite often actually. The concept is really a children's fairy tale so it may not appeal to everyone. I'm not a fan of concept albums anyway but I do really enjoy parts of this album musically. The vocals are hard to digest at times as well. There is mellotron on every track though.

"Ernie's Reise" is laid back with reserved vocals. This is very GENESIS-like here and I like it. A fuller sound before 3 minutes. Vocals are back but more passionate this time. Some narration after 7 minutes and I like the intricate guitar before 9 minutes. "Severity Town" has this child- like intro. Vocals a minute in. I don't like them around 3 1/2 minutes at all. Or later at 6 1/2 minutes. More narration after 8 minutes. "Anywhere" is mostly acoustic guitar and reserved vocals. I like when the mellotron comes in later.

"Rockpommel's Land" is the side long closing track. It opens with marching sounds as the music kicks in quickly. Vocals 1 1/2 minutes in. Synths follow. Marching styled drums after 6 minutes. Great sound before 8 minutes. Some samples a minute later. Organ and a heavier sound 10 1/2 minutes in before it settles after 14 minutes. That same mellow sound from the start of the album is back then comes the emotional guitar that sounds so good.

Many rate this 5 stars and I can see why, but overall this doesn't suit my musical taste to warrant even 4 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |