Ankh - Expect Unexpected CD (album) cover

4 stars I must admit that I'm not that familiar with Polish progressive rock, but I'm probably right anyway if I say that ANKH has to be one of the best bands in this genre over there. QUIDAM is of course one of the better too, but they can't be compared to ANKH in any way. The band was founded in Kielce, Poland in 1991 and they have released four albums so far. Actually I don't know whether to call their music progressive or not. It' s progressive in the sense that it's experimental, but it's not the kind of music that you usually associate with progressive rock. Previously they have used violin as a part of their sound, but on their new album "Expect Unexpected" you can only hear it in one song: "loop fast violin mix". The music is very much dominated by keyboards, often programmed ones, like a hybrid between "synth bands" and progressive rock. I can't really compare them with any other bands. The album is very good although it isn't exactly within my musical frames. But I'm open-minded and ANKH is a nice new experience.
Greger | 4/5 |