Cirkus - Cirkus One CD (album) cover

CIRKUS ONE

Cirkus

UMUR
3 stars Cirkus One is the debut full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act Cirkus. Thereīs a Swiss act with a C instead of a K in the name so beware which one you are purchasing. The original album contained 9 tracks but there is a couple of CD reissues with bonus tracks available.

The music on the album is progressive rock but of the more commercial sounding kind. The songs are generally not very long and pretty much follow a vers/ chorus form. In addition to bass, guitar and drums there are lots of mellotron on the album but also some orchestration. The vocals by Paul Robson are smooth and pleasant. Thatīs my general description of the music but to be honest I think this is a very cheesy commercial pop/ rock with only a slight connection to what I perceive as progressive music. The latter is not necessarily a bad thing as music donīt have to be progressive for me to find enjoyment in it. There are just several things that bug me here and I guess the words 70s kitch and cheesy covers my complaints pretty well. The songs are well composed and the production on the album is very good too so thereīs nothing wrong with those parts of the album. In addition to that the musicianship is excellent so again thereīs nothing wrong with that part of the album. Itīs the very soul of the music thatīs a problem IMO and thatīs probably the worst part there could be something wrong with. Iīm not moved and I found myself cringing my toes on more than one occasion during my listening sessions of this album. Again cheese comes to mind. Iīm reminded a bit of the later Beggars Opera albums.

So with that said I should probably rate Cirkus One with 2 stars but as the music is very well executed, the production is top notch and the songs are well written, if you view them from a compositional point of view, Iīll raise that rating to a 2.5 - 3 star rating. Personally I donīt appreciate the album one bit though and I find it quite obvious why this band never achieved any notable succes. They are kind of stuck between two chairs as they are not really progressive enough to satisfy a progressive audience and even though their music have lots of commercial sensibility that audience will probably find the music too challenging.

UMUR | 3/5 |