Alpes & Catherine Ribeiro - Paix CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

DamoXt7942
Forum & Site Admin Group
Moderator / Psych Team
4 stars A delightful French folk? No, not at all!

Let me say please don't be deceived by the first poppy French pop-rock Roc Alpin - Alpine Rock. Ah, sorry, of course this is a very smart and fine song, with Catherine's masculine husky and overwhelming voices and rhythmical French poppy sounds. Consider this is exactly a wonderful French Rock song. And furthermore, in the next ballad Jusqu'a Ce Que La Force De T'aimer Me Manque, with a flamenco guitar solo, Catherine's voices can get more flexible, more passionate, and more melancholic. Cannot help crying in her graceful but exploding chorus, let's try this ACID FOLK!

However, naturally, the real gems in this album should be the last two long songs - especially, the last track Un Jour... La Mort, with three independent parts in it, has absolutely all of their musical essence; quiet, smooth, (and a bit boring) opening... Catherine's mysteriously hoarse but palmy, fruity vibrations with heavy riffs of a bass solo... ethnic percussive sounds with her aggressive French singin'... and based on a fantastic electric guitar solo, impressing avalanche of pleasant voices and psychedelic keyboard & guitar sounds... even her shouts and cries can be comfortable for us, what a beautiful ending scene!

The title track Paix is another gem. spacey percussion is particularly impressive. Repetitive and fragrant riffs by a fancy keyboard solo and a simple (and sometimes eccentrically heavy) guitar one can remind us French progressive folk with some danceable and sensual texture. But the basis of this song is "Rock" I wanna say.

Oh, anyway, finally let me say - Roc Alpin can be very fit for my daily jog. :-)

DamoXt7942 | 4/5 |