Jon Anderson - Three Ships CD (album) cover

THREE SHIPS

Jon Anderson

Custodian
4 stars This is my favorite Christmas album of all time. My tastes are pretty non-traditional. Some of my other favorite Christmas albums are by Mojo Nixon and Chris Stamey.

This is not a Yes Christmas. Anderson is in full celstial-Vangelis-tecno mode. That's what I like about it, Anderson's perfect choirboy voice in precise electronic versions of classic songs. The only track that doesn't really work for me is "O Holy Night." Sandra Crouch's soulful guest vocals just don't fit on this album.

The originals are good, too, though you have to be tolerant of (now retro-) futuristic new age thinking. The contrast between the warm hopeful emotions of the lyrics and the cold precision of the music is, in my opinion, wonderful. In fact, these songs are full of a sense of wonder and awe, just the right mood for contemplating the spirit of the season.

Custodian | 4/5 |