Simon Says - Paradise Square CD (album) cover

PARADISE SQUARE

Simon Says

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars After writing reviews for some years one will learn that is better not to write down a review about a CD you don´t like at first. Because after some time you´ll pick it up again and when you listen to it on some other time there is a chance you might change your mind. And that´s what just happened with Paradise Square. I remember I bought it almost at the same time as its follow up, the then newly released Tardigrade. And I didn´t like it, while I enjoyed Tardigrade a lot. I´m glad I didn´t write about PS at the time, because it wouldnt be a fair one.

Ever sine I pick it up again I found I´m enjoying this album more and more. Ok, it is not as powerful as what folloed it, but still ti is a very charming and strong symphonic rock work. This swedish group really knows how to balance the new soundswith their strong 70´s roots. Genesis around the time of Wind & Wuthering is a very obvious influence: many keyboards and guitars timbres are so close to those of Banks & co that it´s almost scaring. But they don´t use only this source all the time like most Genesis clones. In fact, their mellotrons waves and languid guitar solos are put together with other elements like surprising experiments, sudden noises, jazzy pieces, flamenco guitar and even sitar sounds here and there. Besides, singer Daniel Fäldt has a voice and vocal deliverance that resembles nothing like Gabriel nor Collins. In fact his style is quite unique and interesting.

The band also has a great flair for writing the great tune and develop the surprising, tasteful arrangement to boot. No small feat! This is a concept album and, as such, I must say that, musically, it does not work perfectly all the time. Nevertheless, it´s one of those rare albums where you´ll hear familiar sounds on it most of the time and still find it original, intriguing and very appealing. The musicians are all masters of their instruments and quite creative. Production and mixing are excellent!

If you like good old styled synphonic prog translated into some modern band with lots of personality and eager to experiment without distorcing their roots, you shoud not miss Paradise Square. But listen carefully! Rating: something between 4 and 4,5 stars. Highly recommended.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |