King Crimson - THRaKaTTaK CD (album) cover

THRAKATTAK

King Crimson

tdfloyd
1 stars Being a follower of King Crimson over the years but not an obsessive fan of the group, has made KC a hit or miss band in my CD collection. I loved the first 2 doom and gloom albums, and I still can remember being floored by Epitaph and In the Court from their maiden release. Another standout for me was Red but some of the other KC releases were hit and miss for me.

Not a fan of the trio of releases from the reformed KC in the 1980's, I picked up Thrak with no real expectations but intrigued by the double trio format of the band. Wow, a major surprise as this disk delivered in spades.

I looked to the live THRaKaTTaK with great anticipation. Probably the most disappointed I have ever been ( OK bottom 3). Waves upon waves of dissonant noise at crushing volumes is probably the best way to describe it. Improvisation at it worst as it sounds like a work in progress before the bad ideas got removed and the good ideas got worked on.

1 star