Rush - Signals CD (album) cover

4 stars This album was released when I was 12 years old, not that far from the youthful reflective territory that Peart's lyrics are aiming for.

As a lifetime Rush fan, I discovered this album long after my personal break-through "Power Windows". All of the few Australian Rush fans, at that time, pointed me firstly toward "Moving Pictures", as you would. It's an amazing achievement in an album. Then I heard the stories about "Signals" being the problematic follow up album, with too much synth coming in, and Alex Lifeson being unhappy about his guitar mix, and it's disappointing reception by fans and la la la.

Sorry, but over time, I have found myself kindly disagreeing.

"Signals' is a point of change for a band that has been working their craft for ten years by this stage. After their biggest selling album to date, and followed up by an enormously successful double live set, the band chose to take their music into a new and challenging area, not only for the fans, but for themselves too.

Although Rush had been moving toward shorter and more adept songs for the past two albums, "Signals" was the first time that we saw them incorporate a holistic theme into one album, something that would become a trademark of their 80's and 90's work.

"Signals" is all about youth - having it, wondering about it, losing it, being special with it, and questioning it. As always, Peart layers his lyrics to the point that it takes the listener some time to really get the emotion.

It's not my favourite Rush album, but it comes close. Try listening to it when driving in the country on a rainy day, and you will see what I mean.

love cronks