Electric Light Orchestra - Moment of Truth (Electric Light Orchestra Part II: post ELO) CD (album) cover

MOMENT OF TRUTH (ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA PART II: POST ELO)

Electric Light Orchestra

JLocke
2 stars Disappointing.

Luckily, I didn't pay too much for this depressing album. A couple of bucks, and I don't even know if it's worth that. The shame of it all is that this lineup was obviously trying to go back to the Proggier days of the band and a symphonic, conceptualized record was the result, here. The problem, however, is that no matter what might have sounded like a good idea, the music just wasn't up to par with the vision. I remember first putting this on, and being disappointed almost to tears rather quickly. My heart truly sank listening to this failed attempt at a return-to-form.

It's a shame, because I can tell they were trying, here, but whatever made their earlier works great had left them by now. Blame it on all the line-up changes, lack of any real insperation, the shifting climate of the music market, whatever you wish, but the bottom line is that ELO Part 2 was not a good era for this band, and neither album from that era is worth too much time, in my opinion.

Only a little better than the lowest points of the band's first incarnation, but not recommended to newcomers. You're only going to dig this is you already know what the band is/was about. For a starting point, this just isn't good enough, and it's certainly nowhere near the caliber ELO used to churn out in the glory days.

JLocke | 2/5 |