Elias Hulk - Unchained CD (album) cover

UNCHAINED

Elias Hulk

cataclysta
3 stars It is the first review of this album

Elias Hulk is a very interesting heavy progressive band from United Kingdom. It is not a krautrock, and it should be in a Heavy Prog section (somewhere close to Fuzzy Duck or even T2 and High Tide) or in a Proto-Prog section (together with bands like Andromeda and Deep Purple). I can describe this album as a mix of: hard rock and blues, with psychedelic influences and with a great vocal. It is interesting that Peter Thorpe can sing very peacefully in some tracks and on the contrary in a very crazy way, with hoarse voice in others.

We Can Fly - is a heavy progressive, little bit bluesy track with a devilish vocal, heavy bass line, fine guitars and a long (about 1 minute) drum solo in the middle part.

Nightmare - a hard rock track with hoarse, little bit crazy vocal similar to Captain Beefheart

Been Around Too Long - is a peaceful track with fantastic bass line, and beautiful, delicate vocal. We also have here an interesting instrumental part with fine percussion and drums, together with beautiful guitar.

Yesterday's Trip - loud singing in the first minute, and than almost 3 minutes with great bass, strong drums and fantastic guitar. It is mostly an instrumental track.

Anthology of Dreams - is a psychedelic track with some hypnotic instrumental parts and beautiful delicate vocal.

Free - a peaceful track with weeping guitar (in some way similar to Dire Straits or Chris Rea) and delicate vocal

Delhi Blues - interesting instrumental, hypnotic mix of blues and oriental sounds (Raga Rock). Probably this track is the main reason of putting this album in the krautrock section (but I still don't agree with such a classification of this album).

Ain't Got You - it starts as a peaceful ballad and than we have more hard, instrumental part and again a peaceful ending with delicate vocal

I marked this album with 3 stars because I don't think that it is an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection but definitely it is a very good album (3,5 stars really).

cataclysta | 3/5 |