Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard CD (album) cover

THE UNDERFALL YARD

Big Big Train

scootman369
5 stars This is the first album I have reviewed, and oh what a way to start off. I am relatively new to progressive music, having listened to the genre for about two or so years now. I only acquired "The Underfall Yard" about a week ago but already it's nearing the top of my personal rankings of albums that I have had the privilege of listening to.

There isn't a flaw in this album, in my opinion. Every note (be it vocal, brass, flute, guitar, etc.) contributes to the somber mood of the record. It all builds to the final act, the 22 minute epic "The Underfall Yard." It is here that musical themes from earlier in the album are revisited and built upon. This is the masterpiece of the album, and one of the greatest 20+ minute songs I have ever had the fortune of hearing.

I highly recommend this album. I award this album 5 stars not because it is perfect, but because I feel it is essential to anyone who considers his or herself a prog lover.

scootman369 | 5/5 |