Tamalone - New Acres CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

Prog-Folk Team
3 stars If JETHRO TULL had been more committed to the folk angle in their sound than just on "Songs for the Wood" and a few other glimpses, they would have sounded a lot like TAMALONE. I know I got things backwards, but hey, I'm a prog folk collaborator, accent on folk.

At first listen this sounds much like a TULL clone, based on Cees van Aanholt's Anderson-styled woodwinds and even his voice, but it's less grating than that of the great Anderson. The guitars are more propulsive, reminding me more of MARK KNOPFLER, while even the driving rhythm section recalls DIRE STRAITS who were really the "it" group of the day. The first 3 tracks, "Triangle Tune", and "Song for Ophilus", are the highlights, with the remainder being somewhat hit and miss. In particular, "London Town", "interpreter", and the dreary "Epilog" lack any sort of character and distinction, even by the already established standards.

While "New Acres" is a noble effort by a talented group, its derivative nature and dearth of truly engaging compositions prevents it from occupying prime territory. Still it is as good as anything along the periphery of this sub genre.

kenethlevine | 3/5 |