Henry Cow - Western Culture  CD (album) cover

WESTERN CULTURE

Henry Cow

RIO/Avant-Prog

VanVanVan
5 stars In my opinion, an absolute masterpiece, and definitely the best Henry Cow album. At only a little more than 35 minutes, it is certainly not a long album, but I think this actually works in its favor. There are no over-long songs, which means that every song says what it is supposed to say and then moves on. Additionally, there are no vocals featured anywhere on this album (as there were on Leg End and In Praise Of Learning), and again, I feel this works in the album's favor. The lack of vocals really gives the weirdly amazing instrumental performances room to shine, and shine they do.

Some people have faulted the album for featuring 2 distinct suites composed by Tim Hodgkinson and Lindsay Cooper, respectively; however, I do not feel that it detracts from the overall feel of the album. The suites are so cohesive that it simply feels like there are only two different sounding but equally brilliant pieces of music.

Overall, it is an epic, gorgeously arranged album, with every passage simultaneously beautiful and surprising, just the way Avant- Garde music should be. A must.

VanVanVan | 5/5 |