Santana - Greatest Hits CD (album) cover

GREATEST HITS

Santana

friso
2 stars Santana - Greatest Hits (1974)

This release covers all the song-type material of Santana till '74. It is suitable for those who like the songs of Santana, but it's useless for those who own studio and live albums of the band. Though the material presented is quite strong, it's a bit out of place for album music listeners.

The material itself is mainly Latin rock with Spanish and English vocals. I must admit that I don't thing Santana plays very accurate on some of his early material, but I'm a guitarist myself and I listen very critically to other guitarists. The good thing about this album is that it might be a good record to listen to when you have visitors, most people will like the known Santana songs.

From a progressive/fusion point of view this isn't important at all. Buy some albums (how about the first four?) of the ambitious Lotus Live double cd if you want to hear what Santana was capable of. This release came to be for the pop-scene, so skip on it. Most single Santana albums are more worthwhile. Two stars.

friso | 2/5 |