Tony Levin - Waters of Eden CD (album) cover

WATERS OF EDEN

Tony Levin

snobb
3 stars Tony Levin is great bassist, first of all associated with Peter Gabriel and one of King Crimson's line up. This, his second solo album, is warm and pleasant one. Its sound was a bit unexpected for me.

Nothing reminds technical, cool and angular sound of King Crimson there. Jazz-rock, quite rounded, melodic, soft, sometimes even romantic and melancholic. Very often missing its jazz element and just sounding as simphonic prog. Some great names in supporting musicians team (Marotta, David Torn, David Sancious, etc). Really very intelligent, almost comfortable music. Without being cheese.

Possibly I expected more technical, energetic, faster sound, may be even aggressive one. No, I hardly found it here. But what I found was excellent equivalent.

Not a masterpiece, but very competent and pleasant music, could be interesting for very different listeners - from Levin/KC fans till soft jazz rock lovers.

snobb | 3/5 |