The Mars Volta - Octahedron CD (album) cover

The Mars Volta

5 stars I've been a huge fan of the band since their first album, I never imagined they'd progress so well, especially into this quieter, stark, striped down territory. Their last two albums are actually my favorite of Mars Volta's five albums. They just keep getting better. My favorite album of the year.

You know, with regard to this band in general....The last thing I expected in the 90s was Nu Prog (I just coined that). I love how they've taken post-punk thrash sounds and shown how they can be blended with everything from free jazz to art folk to make truly progressive music. I envision them turning on all these young minds raised on regular radio "alternative" to truly innovative, progressive and artistic rock. Five excellent albums to date, and this is one of their best.

akajazzman | 5/5 |