Rush - Retrospective II (1981-1987) CD (album) cover

4 stars Retrospective II (1981-1987) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1981 to 1987. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective I (1974- 1980).

I won´t disguise the fact that this period is my favorite period when it comes to Rush music. Starting with the fantastic Moving Pictures (1981) and ending with the synth heavy and for some people much loathed Hold Your Fire (1987) this is Rush at their best IMO. The music they made in this period got increasingly synth heavy and closer to commercial vers/ chorus structures but at the same time Rush displayed a more futureristic and unique sound than ever. The song selection for this compilation is nearly perfect and the only track that I miss is the instrumental YYZ from Moving Pictures. Other than that minor complaint Retrospective II (1981-1987) is a perfect entry point for the newcommer to Rush and my 4 star ratings is very much warranted.

UMUR | 4/5 |