Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Photos Of Ghosts CD (album) cover

PHOTOS OF GHOSTS

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

friso
4 stars PFM - Photos of Ghost (1973)

The English version of 'Per un Amigo'.

I would rather have had a vinyl copy of the original Italian album, but they are quite rare in Holland. Photos of Ghost, released on ELP's Manticore label, has the same songs as the original, but the vocals on most of the songs were re-recorded. The English lyrics were written by lyrical wonder-man Peter Sinfield. His lyrics are good, but I'd rather have had translations of the original Italian lyrics. I also have the mp3 of Pur un Amigo and I though it was quite clear the Italian vocals were record much better then the English.

The music of PFM is a mix of influences from the English progressive scene. One can hear some King Crimson-like impact of songs, some ELP instrumentation and some Genesis like symphonic sounds. On this album PFM plays symphonic progressive music of the highest quality. The compositions are very atmospheric and have a warm emotional feel, whilst the band manages to be technical and innovative at the same time. All instruments are played very professional, only the drums are a bit less good then on later PFM albums.

Conclusion. The music on this album is essential for a progressive music collection, but I do recommend to buy the Italian version. I'll give the English version four stars because of the lack of great vocals.

friso | 4/5 |