Nexus - Perpetuum Karma CD (album) cover

PERPETUUM KARMA

Nexus

Mellotron Storm
4 stars NEXUS are one of my favourite South American bands so it's about time I reviewed another one of their albums, especially since it's been well over 3 years since I reviewed "Metanoia". I still remember sitting in my truck listening to "Metanoia" in a parking lot in November of 2006 and being overwelmed by how powerful it was. The organ and various keyboards were simply outstanding. This is the follow-up to that amazing album and I really feel that "Perpetuum Karma" is just as good although a little different as the female singer has left being replaced by a male vocalist. All last week everytime I played this cd I had a smile on my face. It's just a gorgeous sounding record.

I'm going to use the English song titles provided. First up is "To Look Towards The Center" the longest song at 17 1/2 minutes. Nature sounds begin the journey before piano and synths join in followed by acoustic guitar. It becomes surprisingly heavy before 1 1/2 minutes including a good dose of mellotron. Powerful outbursts come and go then the guitar lights it up. Some chunky bass 3 minutes and check out the organ. It settles 7 minutes in with piano then vocals for the first time. The tempo continues to shift. I really like the atmosphere with guitar before 13 1/2 minutes. Beautiful. It kicks back in and this sounds gorgeous too. Organ is back 16 minutes in with a strong rhythm section. What a song ! "Perpetuum Karma" is spacey to open but the organ and drums soon change that. Great sound 2 1/2 minutes in. Amazing ! Mellotron before 7 minutes as the sound continues to change and evolve. Some nice relaxed guitar followed by vocals after 10 1/2 minutes. The Gilmour-like guitar is great a minute later. Some wicked organ follows.

"From The Abyss To The Sun" is orchestral sounding as picked guitar comes in. Percussion too. Vocals 3 1/2 minutes as the synths cry out. Some nice guitar work 7 minutes in. "Journey" is led by the organ and drums early. Synths join in then it settles after 1 1/2 minutes. It eventually picks back up. Check out the organ and bass around 5 minutes. "Crosses And Shadows" is just a joy to listen to. Flute to start before synths take over. Drums 1 1/2 minutes in as it builds. Then it settles in with a drum / organ melody. Nice. Vocals join in. What a fantastic sound ! "In That Wind" opens with acoustic guitar as synths and some atmosphere come in.It's fuller a minute in. Vocals follow. Beautiful, just beautiful. Lots of synths when the vocals stop then the guitar takes a turn. Mellotron before the vocals return.

I don't know how anyone could give this less than 4 stars, but then again we all don't have the same tastes. This kind of music makes it all worthwhile.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |