Rush - Permanent Waves CD (album) cover

4 stars This 1980 release has always been my favorite Rush album, with Farewell to Kings being a close second. There is not a weak track on this album with "Different Strings" being a bit less great than the rest but still good. The first 2 songs are fine rock, although not totally progressive. Still- no complaints. "Jacobs Ladder" and "Natural Science" are the prog classics here. "Entres Nous" is also good. This albums sets the stage for a new Rush with Geddy Lee's vocals being more "normal" and less piercing. I think this album segued well into their next effort Moving Pictures. They seem, to me at least, to be very similar albums, although I like this one more and play it more. Not a perfect 5 star album but a solid 4-4/12 effort.
mohaveman | 4/5 |