Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life CD (album) cover

STILL LIFE

Van Der Graaf Generator

Kjarks
5 stars To my mind, maybe it's the "cleanest" album of VDGG, even if "La Rossa" is rougher and is crossed by some paroxystic moments of tension. Not always so still in fact, but the rythm appears to me more quiet than in preceding and following records, Jackson's sax does not often have such a pure sound ("My room") in VDGG's discography and the organ is often subtile.

Of course, I would not say it's a peaceful record. The depth of human are always just under the surface in Hammill's words and voice. Maybe it is just a step in the maturity of the group. A splendid maturity.

Kjarks | 5/5 |