Steve Hackett - Defector CD (album) cover

Steve Hackett

3 stars This is the 2nd Hackett solo project with this lineup. This is also decidedly more of a Hackett project than a band project. "The Steppes" is a good example of what I am referring to. It is a good song, but like "Spectral mornings" it doesn't have that much going on, which makes it too long of a prog song. That is what makes prog what it is. For me, the ideal prog song is one where there is something different going on about every ten seconds or so. Of course there are acceptable variations, but for the most part nobody wants to keep hearing one or two chords over and over for thirty minutes! I am certain the music industry would die very quickly if we had to put up with that all the time.

Some of the tunes I really liked on "Defector" are, "Jacuzzi," "Two Vamps as guests" [a classic guitar solo], "The Toast," and "The Show." The last one being geared toward top 40 audiences.

I didn't like "Hammer in the Sand" or "Sentimental instution." The first one was like "The steppes," but it was very boring to me. The last song sounded like Steve went back to the roaring twenties and found a crappy ballad, and decided to bore his listeners even further. Some of the other songs are not that memorable to me. This album was, to say the least, very disappointing. I know Mr. Hackett is capable of much better material than that. I give this one 2.5 stars. It will get 3 stars for the archives, but I don't recomend that anyone waste their money on it.

Keetian | 3/5 |