Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante CD (album) cover

DISCO VOLANTE

Mr. Bungle

RIO/Avant-Prog

Sinusoid
2 stars This album is a circus of musical genres that encompass everything from noise metal to jangly surf pop to ambient electronic music. Mr. Bungle certainly likes to put a whole bunch of styles into their songwriting, but therein lies the problem. There's simply too many genre jumps for me to really latch onto this one.

The whole point of DISCO VOLANTE is to throw a whole bunch of styles at you without caring too much about flow, continuity or reason. It's nice that we get chamber music with weird vocalisations and we're treated to the creation of a freaky new style of techno, but very little of the songs strike me as interesting. Only ''Desert Search for Techno Allah'' and ''Backstrokin'' kept me interested the whole time; everything else ran over me as ''okay, but what's the point?'' I'm not a fan of overly serious music, but much of the album sounds like juvenille goofing off.

Sinusoid | 2/5 |