Can - Tago Mago CD (album) cover

2 stars This double album from "Can" is probably a turnkey in their musical history and a definite breakthrough.

The album starts on a fully psychedelic wave, very much early Floyd oriented which is quite a good start by all means. The following "Mushroom" should indicate the source of inspiration of the song. It is quite hectic and of little interest to my ears.

I prefer the rocking "Oh Yeah" which holds a lot from "Sympathy For The Devil" (from the Stones of course). Great beat, fine guitar. A solid track indeed which closed the original first (and good) side of the vinyl.

The full side long at the time "Halleluhwah" is quite minimalist and repetitive. Hypnotic thanks to its beat, this piece of music doesn't speak to me very much. The second part of the track is of a better content (mainly thanks to a clever guitar solo).

The other side long track from this work is quite hermetic, avant-garde, and experimental oriented. I have to admit that it is not my cup of tea. As usual, the drumming is quite prominent but it can't save the bill. A boring seventeen minutes track is my deep feeling.

But the worse is reached with the ugly "Peking O". I can't feel anything positive while listening to such a noise.

The best conclusion I can give is to paraphrase "Easy Livin" who said in his excellent review: " the intention here is to provide a balance by offering the views of someone who enjoys prog, but does not particularly enjoy this".

Two stars.