Jon Hassell - City: Works Of Fiction CD (album) cover

CITY: WORKS OF FICTION

Jon Hassell

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars I see that Jon Hassell is listed here under "Jazz/Rock Fusion". I'm not sure that most of his works would fall into that category, or any category for that matter, but this one definitely does fit there.

The style reminds me greatly of Miles Davis' experiments in rock/funk/jazz fusion. If you listen past the extreme computerized treatments of Hassell's trumpet, his phrasing and solo style is very reminiscent of Miles' later works. And it doesn't hurt that bassist Daniels Schwartz here sounds similar to Marcus Miller.

Best track: While I enjoy the entire album, I would have to single out Warriors, one of the most aggressive Hassell pieces I've heard, as my favorite.

Evolver | 4/5 |