Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh CD (album) cover

4 stars This is the ultimate "love-it-or-hate-it album". Except for most Slipknot albums, but that's a completely different story. This was my first journey into "Zeuhl" territory and the bizarre, almost deformed-like melodies and just plain weird use of instruments caught my attention immediately. The vocals can go from sounding like a speech from Hitler to a church choir on heroin. These elements can either pull you towards wanting more or running away screaming.

What makes the album work is the original "charm" to it. It feels like an opera for...I don't know who. Each song has its own feel to it, but still revolves around the same overall tone and structure. It's like a car wreck. It's terrifying, but you can't look away. Well, most can't. My advice would be to check out the first song, and if you want more, buy it and if not, never come near it again. I personally had to get more but I'm not everybody.

CinemaZebra | 4/5 |