Guru Guru - UFO CD (album) cover

Guru Guru

Krautrock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Guru Guru's debut is a great psychedelic jam record dating from the early years of Germany's "Kraut" movement. The closest resemblance that comes to mind is Amon Düül in a full-out rocking mood. Some distant vocal rambling not withstanding the album is entirely instrumental and focuses heavily on free-jazz drumming and dirty guitar soloing similar to Jimmy Hendrix.

On some pieces such as the title track, the absence of any rhythm, groove or melody makes it a hard album to get into and admittedly, it's not a track I would choose to hear a lot. But still I like the uncompromising attitude of it. It reminds me of Tangerine Dream's debut and the more chaotic moments of Can.

UFO is a fine kraut rock album with many wild and excellent moments, but due to a personal preference for the more structured approach of their album Känguru, I'll leave it at 3.5 stars.

Bonnek | 4/5 |