Locanda delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Pił CD (album) cover

Locanda delle Fate

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars Forse Le Lucciole is a classic RPI title that wasn't made for me I'm afraid. The predictable style and smooth production drowns out all challenge, adventure, inspiration and character that I expect from progressive rock.

It's by no means a bad album, but it just doesn't have the qualities to move me. It is an album styled after the sound of post-'74 Genesis, meaning smooth, lush, silky and pleasantly melodious if you want to be positive; sticky, edgeless and bubble-gum prog if you feel negative towards it. The instrumental opener might be the most effective of all tracks for me. It has the same characteristics as the other songs but it doesn't come off as poppy as the remainder of the album. Not that there's something wrong with the vocalist but his melodies are a bit too obvious and mellow.

The main cause for disappointment comes from the typical late 70's production. I prefer albums with an organic rocking sound, Genesis' Foxtrot for instance, or any other 1972 UK or RPI album. The polished production standards that infested the second half of the seventies greatly reduced the prog-excitement for me. It took the bite out of the albums from that time, a time that already suffered from a severely diminished inspiration and creative depletion. The glossy sound created bland and sterile sounding albums lacking in dynamics and intensity. I call it the "Alan Parsons-syndrome".

Forse Le Lucciole is a professional album and I can sure understand the 5 stars ratings from other reviewers but for me this rates far lower. The musicians are talented and the compositions are skilful, but I lack personality, stamina and passion here. This is one of those albums that always makes me reach for a fix of Nirvana or Led Zeppelin to compensate for the emotional power that this album so clearly misses.

Bonnek | 2/5 |