Dunwich - Eternal Eclipse of Frost CD (album) cover

ETERNAL ECLIPSE OF FROST

Dunwich

Prog Folk

Mellotron Storm
2 stars DUNWICH are an Italian band who feature both male and female vocals in Italian. They offer up a variety of styles including Classical, Gothic, Symphonic, Metal and Celtic. And while this is interesting it just doesn't work for me. I was remined of DEAD CAN DANCE a few times as well with the atmosphere and ethreal female vocals. Check out the long list of performers though, with celtic harp, hurdy-gurdy, cello and several violinists etc.

The album opens with some narration and atmosphere before we get to "Il Largo E Salito Al Cielo". It opens with this gothic sounding male choir before the guitar cries out. Drums and a full sound follow with female vocals. Male vocals and horns take over then themes are repeated. "Passaggio A Saint Briavc" has this nice heavy intro as female vocals join in. I like the guitar 3 1/2 minutes to almost the end of this song. "Il Nostro Incanto" is catchy and lighter with female vocals. Gothic male vocals take over and contrasts continue. Not a fan. "Il Vento Di Aran" is led by strings early then these ethreal female vocals come in. Not a fan of this one either although it's much better when the drums and guitar take over around 2 minutes.

"Il Vento Di Aran (Reprise)" features the strings and female vocals of the previous track. "Alcheringa" has this catchy beat with female vocals. Guitar after 2 minutes and violin late. Not a fan. "Preparazione Al Mono" has these Power-Metal-like drums that come in while the guitar rips it up late. "La Veglia Degle Angeli" features female vocals and heaviness. I like the chunky bass here. Male and female vocal melodies after 3 minutes. "L'Avorio Di Trene" opens with strings as female vocal melodies join in. The tempo picks up. Not a fan. "Il Bosco Sacro" is drum and female vocal led. Guitar before 2 minutes. In the conclusion we can hear the wind blowing as she sings slowly.

Unfortunately there's more here that I dislike than like. It's probably worth checking out if your into NIGHTWISH or DEAD CAN DANCE although this is a different animal than those two.

Mellotron Storm | 2/5 |