Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune CD (album) cover

Blue Öyster Cult

Prog Metal Team
2 stars Agents of Fortune is an odd album. It mostly consists of boogie rock similar to what ended up on their second album, but this time it's polished to suit arena rock formats.

It's not that I can find anything particularly wrong with songs like Summer of Love or ETI but it's all just too feathery for me. Other songs like True Confessions, Debbie Denise and Tenderloin are simply weak. Strangely enough, amidst the mediocre material sits one entirely different song, The Reaper one of the most amazing classic rock songs ever. Also Vera Gemini retains some of the magic that happened in that remarkable flash of inspiration. It has a gothic feel that kind of reminds me of early Christian Death material. (A strange twist of thought I admit.) Also Sinful Love and Tatto Vampire are entertaining.

I wouldn't recommend this album, you sure have the one track that matters on one or other compilation. Instead check out the debut or Secret Treaties. 2.5 stars.

Bonnek | 2/5 |