Conception - The Last Sunset CD (album) cover

THE LAST SUNSET

Conception

Mellotron Storm
3 stars This was CONCEPTION's debut album released back in 1993. It's true there's nothing new here or different that would set them apart, this is straight-up Prog-Metal. I don't have their final album "Flow" but I have the other three records. I have to thank Bonnek for allowing me to hear this one.

"Prevision" is the short intro track where we ge some atmosphere. "Building A Force" is built right away as all hell breaks loose with the drums crashing while the guitar rips it up. Vocals join in. It settles some 2 1/2 minutes in. Great sound when the riffs kick in followed by a guitar solo. "War Of Hate" sounds so good ! The vocals are reserved before a minute but the music isn't. A calm before 3 minutes with bass. Some Spanish guitar follows. "Bowed Down With Sorrow" is fairly heavy as laid back vocals join in. It picks up 1 1/2 minutes in. Nice. The contrasts continue. The guitar solo is beautiful 5 minutes in. I love the guitar intro on "Fairy's Dance" then here comes the riffs. It then settles with vocals but not for long. Themes are repeated. The guitar lights it up after 3 1/2 minutes. Nice.

"Another World" is some heavy shit as the tempo picks up and vocals join in. Some nice chunky bass too. An earth-shaking soundscape before 4 minutes as rough sounding vocals come in. A guitar solo comes in too. Amazing track ! "Elegy" features waves of synths as the guitar cries out. "The Last Sunset" is fairly dark with bass, drums and vocals. The guitar is relaxed. It's fuller after 2 minutes. Guitar solo before 3 minutes. "Live To Survive" is uptempo and crunchy. Vocals arrive quickly. This sounds really good. Guitar solo after 4 minutes. This is a real headbanger. "Among The Gods" is the almost 11 minute tour de force. A rampage of heaviness to open then strummed guitar and a calm takes over before a minute. Reserved vocals too. It kicks back in before 2 minutes then it settles with some Spanish guitar. An all out assault before 4 minutes as contrasts continue.

This album has been a pleasure as I haven't been listening to much Metal of late. The second half is quite strong but overall 3.5 stars seems just about right.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |