Knight Area - Under A New Sign CD (album) cover

UNDER A NEW SIGN

Knight Area

Brendan
2 stars I'm going to admit, I came to 'Knight-area' as a total novice when it comes to progressive rock. So I am not the very best judge when it comes to summing up the album.

However, when I put on the album, I felt they were just imitating Genesis and Yes, maybe ELP. Sure, the vocals sound like a modern pop singer but other than that...

I feel a bit bad giving them '2 out of 5' because their playing is exemplory and this is a much better record than a lot of music that would have come out in 2007. Their 'soundscapes' are pretty impressive, quite massive sounding, their instrumental work is really good, but they really are the same tones and textures you would have heard in the 70's from Genesis. Exactly the same. I already have 'Trick of the tail', 'Selling England by the pound', etc. so why do I need someone to more or less remake it 30 or so years later?

But that said I would have liked to have given it 2.5 stars, so it looks like a pass, because the music is quite good, originality aside.

Brendan | 2/5 |